Our Employment & Labour Group lawyers advise businesses and individuals throughout British Columbia on all employment and labour related matters. See the full description of our Services below.
We want to empower our clients with the knowledge to make the right decisions in their workplace. We do this by educating employees and employers on their rights and obligations and tirelessly working with them to achieve the outcome that meets their objectives.
The modern workplace is ever-changing and presents novel challenges for both businesses and individuals. We can help not only to protect your interests but to give you the edge you need to come out on top.
We see all the angles. Unlike other business advisors or law firms, our Group’s broad and diverse knowledge base covers the full spectrum of workplace law. Not only do we handle wrongful dismissal and human rights matters for employers and employees, we are the only Group east of the Fraser River that also practices in labour law, WorkSafeBC, occupational health and safety, EI & CPP, admin law, disability insurance, and shareholder disputes. There is no area of the workplace that we can’t help with. And we handle all cases, big and small.
We are versatile. Just as our knowledge is broad, so is our skill-set. Our preference is to resolve disputes as early as possible through careful consultation, advice, planning. In this regard we are trusted advisors and skilled negotiators. However, when the other party is not willing to resolve matters fairly, we put on our robes and go to Court. We are seasoned litigators in all levels of Court and familiar with the rules and regulations specific to every federal and provincial workplace tribunals. If the tribunal decision isn’t favourable, we are experienced in judicial review too.
We are experienced. Recent changes in the legal industry are creating many new employment lawyers. We have been doing this for a long time and have over 65 years of experience between our four team members.
We are local. We live in the communities that we serve. We care about those communities and take part in them every day through participation in local events, chambers of commerce, and pro bono activities. Living and working locally allows us to provide the quality of service of a downtown law firm but at affordable rates.
KSW Employment & Labour Group is here to empower our clients in the workplace.
- Recruiting & Hiring Advice
- Drafting Employment Contracts
- Policy Manual Development
- Compensation Plans & Benefits
- Performance Management
- Termination of Employment: Dismissal Planning, Reasonable Notice & Just Cause Advice
- Wrongful Dismissal Litigation
- Workplace Investigations
- Navigating the Employment Standards Act
- Protecting Confidential Information
- Drafting & Enforcing Non-Compete/Solicit Agreements
- Departing Employee Issues & Injunctions
- Shareholder/Employee Disputes including Oppression Remedies
- Wrongful Dismissal & Termination
- Constructive Dismissal
- Severance Package Review & Negotiation
- Employment Offer Review & Negotiation
- Employment Standards Claims: Overtime, Wages, Vacation Pay
- Non-Competition & Non-Solicitation: Advice on Enforceability
- Exit Strategies
- Employment Insurance Appeals
- Canada Pension Plan Appeals (CPP Disability)
Contact our Team Today!
- Advice on Avoiding Human Rights Claims
- Duty to Accommodate Advice
- Managing the Absent Employee
- Succession Planning for Older Employees
- Mediation of Human Rights Complaints
- Representation BC Human Rights Tribunal Hearings
- Workplace Bullying & Harassment Complaints
- Sexual Harassment Complaints
- Workplace Discrimination & Gender Discrimination
- BC Human Rights Tribunal Claims
WORKERS COMPENSATION / WORKSAFEBC
- Occupational Health & Safety Compliance Advice
- Appeal of Penalty Orders & Fines
- Protest & Appeal of Unfounded Claims by Employees
- Drafting Compliant WorkSafeBC Bullying & Harassment Policy
- Review and Appeal of WorkSafeBC Decisions
- Judicial Review of Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal Decisions
- Claim Management Assistance
- Discriminatory Action Complaints
- Strategies to Avoid Union Organizing
- Defeating Union Organizing Drives & Applications for Certification
- Defending Charges of Unfair Labour Practices
- Applying for Relief from Picketing & Strikes
- Acting as Spokesperson in Collective Bargaining
- Advice on Collective Agreement
- Representation at Labour Relations Board and Related Court Applications
- Advice Regarding Unfair Representation Complaints
- Section 12 Complaints to Labour Relations Board
- WorkSafeBC Claims for Union Employees
- Human Rights Claims for Union Employees
- Claims Review Committee Appeals of Disability Insurance Decisions for Union Employees
- Collective Agreement Opinions
OUR EMPLOYMENT & LABOUR GROUP LAWYERS
“I was directed to Christopher D. Drinovz to assist with wrongful termination and severance negotiation. Chris went out of his way to ensure I understood applicable laws and process and helped me to negotiate a much better settlement than I was originally offered. Chris is highly recommended and is now my go-to lawyer for all employment related needs. Chris was even kind enough to review a new offer from another employer and ensure I didn’t end up in a similar situation I had with my last employer. Being proactive is the name of the game and understanding employment law can be a huge challenge. If you have questions or concerns regarding your employment situation look no further than Chris and KSW!
“All of my questions and concerns were clearly and professionally addressed. Your expertise in cases such as mine was well worth the investment. You have been prompt in your research, accurate in evaluating situations and sympathetic to the stresses involved. I am completely satisfied in the results and will not hesitate to contact you, should I require your services again.”
News and Knowledge
Get in touch with our Employment & Labour Team Today
“My partner and I run an independent insurance adjusting company. Chris created our employee contract, which he crafted for our very specific needs. Chris was committed to ensuring we had the most customized document, catering to both our company and our employees. He was dedicated, personable, flexible and timely. His knowledge and service was extremely professional. We highly recommend Chris Drinovz and his team’s services to anyone.”