Covid-19 Resources for Employers in BC
Author: Chris Drinovz, Partner, KSW Lawyers Employment & Labour Group
Last Update: September 12, 2021
Share This Article:
KSW Lawyers Resources for Employers
Your guide to rolling out a vaccination policy – materials from our Virtual Webinar in June available here:
- Employer Guide to Workplace Vaccination Policies
- Employment Law Webinar Slides
- Webinar Q&A
- Webinar Recording
KSW articles from our Employer Resources Portal
- Article summarizing recent decisions BC Human Rights Tribunal Dismisses Complaints Alleging Discrimination due to Vaccine Pass
- Article on B.C.’s Proof of Vaccination Requirement
- Article on Vaccine Mandates and Workplace Vaccination Policies – FAQs
- Article by Chris Drinovz: Can an Employer require Employees to get the Covid-19 Vaccine?
Employment & Labour Newsletters
Sign up to receive future updates and articles here. Relevant Past Newsletters:
- Vaccine Mandates, Workplace Policies and Employment Standards Act Amendments
- New guidance from the BC Human Rights Commissioner and our Guide on Vaccination Policies
- New Covid-related Paid Sick Leave, Expedited Workplace Closures & Case Law Updates. Join us for Webinar: Rolling Out Vaccination Policies
Other Covid-19 Resources for Employers
- Information on the current B.C. Provincial Health Officer’s orders, notices and guidance is available on the official B.C. Government website here.
- B.C. Government News Release (September 7 2021) regarding the Vaccine Card and list of settings where it is required is available here.
British Columbia’s Commissioner of Human Rights
- Policy paper entitled A human rights approach to proof of vaccination during the COVID-19 pandemic – BC’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner (bchumanrights.ca)
- WorkSafeBC’s Communicable disease prevention: A guide for employers available here.
- WorkSafeBC information for Employers on Vaccination and the Workplace, including information on work-related claims due to vaccination adverse reactions, is available here.
- WorkSafeBC information for Employers on Claims relating to Covid-19 is available here. Covid-19 Claims Data by Industry available here.
About KSW Lawyers and our Employment & Labour Group
KSW Lawyers (Kane Shannon Weiler LLP) was founded in 1973. Today, we maintain office locations in Surrey, South Surrey/White Rock, Abbotsford, Langley and Vancouver, and our lawyers serve clients throughout the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. Our firm is well known among the various industries in which we operate for our professionalism, integrity and diligent representation. We offer services in a large variety of areas including: Business & Corporate, Employment & Labour, Tax, Real Estate, Litigation & Disputes, Wills & Estates and more.
At KSW Lawyers, the main goal of our Employment & Labour Group is to empower our clients with the knowledge to make the right decisions in their workplace. We do this by educating employers on their rights and obligations and tirelessly working with them to achieve the outcome that meets their objectives.
Why choose to work with us? We see all the angles. We are versatile. We are experienced. We are local.
Chris Drinovz is an experienced employment and labour lawyer in Abbotsford, Langley, Surrey & South Surrey, a Partner at KSW Lawyers and Head of the Employment & Labour Group. Chris has been assisting local businesses with workplace issues since 2010. His expertise covers all facets of the workplace including wrongful dismissal, employment contracts, workplace policies, human rights & discrimination, and WorkSafeBC matters, including occupational health & safety.
Chris is on the Executive of the Employment Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association BC, and a Director for Surrey Cares and Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce. In April 2021, Chris was recognized in the 2021 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a Leading Lawyer to Watch in the practice area of employment law for employers and employees.
You can reach Chris by email at email@example.com or by calling 604-746-4357.
Mike Weiler is senior counsel with the Employment & Labour Group at KSW Lawyers (Kane Shannon Weiler LLP). Mike works closely with Chris and specializes in labour law and helping unionized employers with Labour Relations and Union Advice. Mike has more than 35 years of experience practicing employment, labour and human rights law, and related areas, including governance and shareholders rights (and corporate defences to same). He represents employers, management, executives and other senior employees.
You can reach Mike by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Employment & Labour Law Group can assist your business with following services:
- Advising on day-to-day employee relations; dismissal planning, imposition of discipline, promotions, health and insurance benefits, pension benefits, and human rights issues such as discrimination, harassment, and accommodation, and dealing with employees on medical leave;
- Labour Relations and Union Advice for unionized Employers; strategies to avoid union organizing, and defending applications for certification, defending charges of unfair labour practices, applying for relief from picketing & strikes, collective bargaining & advice on collective agreement, representation at labour relations board & court applications along with grievances and arbitrations, labour disputes & injunctions, and general strategic planning;
- Conducting and assisting with investigations into employee misconduct and guiding appropriate disciplinary actions, including just cause termination;
- Preparing employment contracts for individual employees in any employment setting, including professional and executive-position employees;
- Preparing enforceable independent contractor agreements for all non-employee relationships;
- Preparing, advising on, and litigating restrictive covenant agreements such as non-competition and non-solicitation agreements including preparation of cease and desist letters and/or interlocutory injunctions against employees in breach;
- Preparing workplace policies and employee manuals;
- Defending all manner of claims by employees including provincial and federal Employment Standards claim, claims under the BC Human Rights Code or Federal Canadian Human Rights Act, and wrongful dismissal in the BC Supreme or Provincial Courts;
- Assisting with any aspect of Employment Insurance or Canada Pension Plan disability matters including advice on appropriate responses to Service Canada regarding employee’s applying for employment insurance after dismissal;
- Assisting with WorkSafeBC protested claims where the worker’s claim is disputed at all levels including the Review Division and Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal;
- Handling discriminatory action complaints brought by employees under the Workers Compensation Act;
- Assisting with workplace occupational health and safety matters and assessment matters, including appealing penalties imposed by WorkSafeBC; and
If you believe you may need assistance in any of these areas, please contact our team and we will be pleased to assist you.
and KSW Lawyers
Subscribe For Updates
Subscibe to receive our updates on the latest legal developments and best practices in the workplace.
We are ready to help you
Get in touch with our experienced legal advisors today! We are here to support you or your business.